Thanks to support from its donors, Centrum has had one of the most successful seasons in its nearly four-decade history. Thousands of lives were touched either by life-changing workshops in the arts, exhilarating performances, or inspirational opportunities to create new work.
At the end of each summer, we hear stories from participants, parents, artists and community members about the impact Centrum has made in their lives. One that touched our hearts was from a single mother in Olympia who with the help of a Centrum scholarship was able to send her daughter, Sarvani, to Dance This!, Centrum’s high-school dance workshop.
“My daughter has been a very shy and reluctant performer all these years. When I arrived for the Showcase, there Sarvani was, front and center of the hip hop performances — in the moves, in the attitude, and in herself — busting out with joy. In the many, MANY performances I have seen Sarvani do since she was eight years old, I have simply never seen her so happy on stage. It was as if she had found herself… As I heard more stories, I realized that what I saw on stage was part of the entirety of the week. This large group of very diverse girls really supported each other in who they each were and in their accomplishments, however large or small. She made many friends who came to feel like a second family. And she returned home distinctly more confident and mature.”
The story of Sarvani finding herself through the expression of her creativity while also learning new skills in an inspiring and supportive environment is one that is repeated more than a thousand times over each year.
As Centrum prepares for another year of providing creative experiences that change lives, please consider a donation in support of Centrum’s programs and/or scholarship fund.
What are these creative experiences?
- The Young Artists Project, a spring series of multi-discipline, hands-on, total-immersion creativity workshops for elementary and middle school students in addition to high school summer workshops in dance and writing.
- A summer season of week-long workshops for students of all ages and performances for the community including: Voice Works, Festival of American Fiddle Tunes, Port Townsend Writers Conference, Jazz Port Townsend, and the Port Townsend Acoustic Blues Festival…
- Year-round weekend intensives for adults in music and writing including: Big Band, the Poetry and Non-Fiction workshops, Choro, Essentially Blues Guitar Intensive and the Port Townsend Ukulele Festival.
- The Artist Residency Program that provides the inspiration, refuge and resources needed for working artists to complete their projects, and develop innovative new work.
How do they change lives?
- By sparking interest in the arts and developing creative thinking skills.
- By bringing people together in a creative environment to develop skills, find mentorship, and build community.
- By keeping workshop fees affordable and offering scholarships to those who might otherwise be unable to attend.
- By producing outstanding performances and events that engage and education the local community as well as attract visitors to Jefferson County which helps to strengthen our local economy.
How will my donation be used?
Centrum’s Program Fund supports: artistic directors and artist faculty; classroom and equipment rental; community outreach; concert production; marketing; general scholarship support; staff and supplies. Donations to the Program Fund are unrestricted and used where they are needed most.
Centrum’s Scholarship Fund provides students, who would not otherwise be able to attend Centrum’s workshops, the opportunity to have life changing experiences. Over 300 students benefit from scholarships each year. Donations to the Scholarship Fund are restricted for that purpose.
You may designate your donation for Centrum’s Program Fund or Scholarship Fund by telling us when you call or checking the appropriate box on the online donation form.
AND, please patronize the following businesses that support Centrum’s mission with:
Pay it Forward in Port Townsend!
Silverwater Café – when a customer notifies their wait person at the Silverwater Café they would like to “pay it forward to Centrum,” 2% of their food and beverage purchase will go to Centrum.
Uptown Dental – when patients check out after their appointment they are given a ballot with a list of local organizations. Patients mark the organization of their choice on their ballot and a portion of the patient’s fee is given to the organization chosen. Ballots are tallied quarterly and checks are distributed to the organizations.