THE FIRST DAY – SUNDAY
Check in begins at 4pm at the Centrum office. The first event is dinner in the Commons.
7pm – Fort Worden Tour with Steve Trampe: Find out where classes are held, which buildings we’ll be using, and get a general feel for the Fort Worden campus. Meet at the Schoolhouse steps.
An extensive welcome and orientation session begins at 7:45pm in McCurdy Pavilion. We will introduce each of the musicians who are on staff, and ask them to play some music. We’ll also talk about the workshop schedule, bring any fresh information, and try to get all of your questions answered.
MONDAY – FRIDAY
9:00 -10:15: Choice of classes
10:45 -12:00: Choice of classes
- Mornings are devoted to workshops, mostly fiddle, but also banjo, guitar, accordion, singing, and dance. There are two 75-minute sessions, one at 9am and one at 10:45am. The intended focus of these morning sessions is on the faculty members’ regional and personal style and repertoire. All faculty members will give four morning workshops during the week, open to any participant. Tutors generally give one morning workshop.
1:30 – 3:00: Band Labs (Tuesday – Friday)
- Each faculty person will lead a band lab during the week. Participants join the faculty member of their choice to form a band, and learn tunes in the style of that player. Band labs meet four times during the week, and then play for a dance on Thursday, and perform in the climactic band concert on Saturday morning. In addition to faculty-led band labs, we also offer a beginners band lab.
- On Monday, July 4, there is a public performance at McCurdy Pavilion – no band labs or tutorials on that day.
3:30 – 4:30: Beginning & Intermediate Tutorials
- Beginning Tutorials are designed to address the needs of beginning and beginning/intermediate players who wish more individualized instruction on their instrument. The tutorials are generally small, allowing for personal attention. They focus on technique.
- Intermediate tutorials are for players who wish more individualized instruction on their instrument. They focus a bit more on style, as well as technique.
4:30 – 5:30: Wild Card Slot
- Anyone – participants, faculty, staff – can lead a workshop at this time.
- Faculty showcase concerts on Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Participants’ concert on Thursday.
- Concert and/or dance on Friday (7:30), open to the public.
- 9:30 – ? : Couple and social dancing
Monday, July 4 – No band labs or tutorials – public performances in McCurdy Pavilion at 1:30 and 7:00 (early start, fireworks at 10pm).
Friday, July 8 – public dance/performance in McCurdy Pavilion at 7:30.
Saturday, July 9 – public performance in McCurdy Pavilion at 1:30.
- Band Lab Concert in the Wheeler, 9:30
- Public performance in McCurdy Pavilion, 1:30
- 8am – breakfast
- 9am – shuttle leaves for airport from Centrum office.
- 11am – everyone out of housing.