Centrum’s 5th annual Friday Workshop Blowout at Jazz Port Townsend is your opportunity to experience one of the nation’s longest running and most respected jazz festivals – from the inside!
On Friday, Jazz Port Townsend will open its doors to the public to join in a workshop, witness rehearsals and master classes, and learn from some of the most celebrated jazz artists in America.
Jazz Port Townsend’s Friday Workshop Blowout is open to the public FREE of charge.
(Note: The following are workshops and clinics, not performances.)
10:30am – 11:45
- “Wow, It Is So Much Fun To Play With You!” Drummer Matt Wilson leads a fun gathering to play some songs and share ideas about how offering and receiving focus, awareness, compassion and gratitude can elevate the spirit of your fellow musicians. Get insight into how jazz musicians communicate non-verbally, and why they have so much fun doing it. Wheeler Theater.
- “Saxophone Summit.” Jeff Clayton, Walter Smith III, Gary Smulyan and Jay Thomas. Master class and discussion. 204 #10
- “Understanding Jazz.” The perfect introduction if you’re relatively new to Jazz, or if you just want to solidify what you already know. Eric Reed. Schoolhouse D.
12 Noon – 1:00
Workshop Participant Big Band Performance, outside at the Commons.
1:15 – 3:15
- “The Girls In The Band.” A sneak-preview screening of the feature-length documentary film, which will be included in this year’s Port Townsend Film Festival Sept. 21 and 22. The film highlights many of the outstanding and often under-recognized women in jazz throughout its history. Followed by a discussion led by faculty artist and drummer Sherrie Maricle, who appears in the film. Wheeler Theater.
2:00 – 3:15
- “Playing With the WHOLE Band: Getting Beyond Rhythm Section + Horns.” Ben Wolfe talks about how a group of musicians becomes a cohesive musical ensemble. 204 #10.
- “Trombone Summit.” Wycliffe Gordon, Jiggs Whigham, David Marriott Jr. and Dan Marcus. Master class and discussion. Schoolhouse D.
3:30 – 4:45
- “The Hippest and Coolest Jazz Records EVER: Blue Note Trumpet-Saxophone Quintet Recordings of Hank Mobley, Lee Morgan, Jackie McLean, Horace Silver, Dexter Gordon, Freddie Hubbard, Joe Henderson, Wayne Shorter, Art Blakey and More.” Led by Benny Green. 204 #10.
- “Singing Is Something For Everyone.” Singer/pianist Dena DeRose leads a workshop to help you learn more about yourself as a musician, your instrument, and the music! 204 #20.
- “A Conversation With Johnny Mandel.” Artistic Director John Clayton hosts a conversation with NEA Jazz Master Johnny Mandel about his remarkable career as a composer-arranger. Wheeler Theater.