Workshop: September 3 – 7, 2014
Fort Worden State Park, Port Townsend, Washington
Please join us for the second Port Townsend Ukulele Festival! The workshop will be held at Fort Worden State Park, a venue unparalleled in beauty and facility. Expect four nights and three days of intense fun, ukulele instruction, and merry music making with some of the finest ukulele instructors and players working today.
Artistic Director Marianne Brogan is still working on assembling the staff, but most are confirmed. They include Joel Eckhaus, Cathy Fink, Marcy Marxer, Fred Sokolow, Gerald Ross, the Canote Brothers, Del Rey, and the wicked rhythm section of Matt Weiner, Nova Devonie, and Piper Heisig. We’re negotiating with 4-5 others to participate, but please know that registration will be limited to approximately 140 people, ensuring small classes (12-1 faculty ratio) and an intimate atmosphere.
The workshop offerings will feature a wide variety of styles – jazz, blues, swing, Hawaiian, pop, novelty, and jugband ukulele, at the least. Specific classes will include introductory-level sessions, chords, melody, improvisation, performing tips, and once-a-day instrumental classes on percussion, bass, accordion, and fiddle. Final detailed class descriptions will be posted before Christmas.
Due to some terrific suggestions from participants, we’ll be changing the schedule slightly in 2014. In general, though, each of the faculty will lead two sessions each day. The detailed daily schedule will also be posted before Christmas. For now here’s a general idea of what to expect:
- Wednesday, September 3, 2014: 3pm – arrive and settle in; 6pm – community dinner; 7:30pm – welcome & orientation; entertainment and jamming after.
- Thursday, Friday, Saturday September 4, 5, 6, 2014:
- In the day: breakfast; 2 morning workshop sessions; lunch; 2 afternoon workshop sessions; open mike.
- Evenings: entertainment, open jams, house parties. There will be two public performances by the instructors on Friday and Saturday at 7:30. Your workshop registration entitles you to prime seats at these shows.
- Sunday September 15, 2013: breakfast, check out of rooms by 11:00 AM.