Workshop: September 3 – 7, 2014
Fort Worden State Park, Port Townsend, Washington
Please note: the Port Townsend Ukulele Festival has reached capacity for 2014, and we’re sorry we can’t accommodate your participation. The quality of the workshop experience is very important to us; the reason we have closed registration is to ensure small class sizes, and a student/faculty ratio of less than 12:1.
In 2015, we’re considering offering two sessions, October 7-11, and/or October 14-18. If you’d like to be notified when registration opens (probably November 2014), please send an email to Peter McCracken (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the words “PT Ukefest” in the subject line. This will automatically put you on the waitlist for 2014 as well.
Please join us for the second Port Townsend Ukulele Festival! The workshop will be held at Fort Worden State Park, a venue unparalleled in beauty and facility. Expect four nights and three days of intense fun, ukulele instruction, and merry music making with some of the finest ukulele instructors and players working today.
Instructors this year include James Hill, Casey MacGill, Aaron Keim, Francis Doo, The Hula Honeys (Ginger Johnson and Robyn Kneubuhl), Cathy Fink, Marcy Marxer, Fred Sokolow, Gerald Ross, the Canote Brothers, Del Rey, and the cool house band of Matt Weiner and Nova Devonie. Registration will be limited to 140 people, ensuring small classes and an intimate atmosphere.
The workshop offerings will feature a wide variety of styles – jazz, blues, swing, Hawaiian, pop, novelty, and jugband ukulele, at the least. Specific classes will include introductory-level sessions, chords, melody, improvisation, performing tips, and once-a-day instrumental classes on percussion, bass, accordion, and fiddle. Final detailed class descriptions will be posted before Christmas.
Due to some terrific suggestions from participants, we’ll be changing the schedule slightly in 2014. In general, though, each of the faculty will lead two sessions each day. And new for 2014 – Baritone uke classes! (tuning DGBE) For those who would like some instruction on the baritone, there will be one baritone class offered each period.
For now here’s a general idea of what to expect:
- Wednesday, September 3, 2014: 3pm – arrive and settle in; 6pm – community dinner; 7:30pm – welcome & orientation; entertainment and jamming after.
- Thursday, Friday, Saturday September 4, 5, 6, 2014:
- In the day: breakfast; 2 morning workshop sessions; lunch; 2 afternoon workshop sessions; open mike.
- Evenings: entertainment, open jams, house parties. There will be two public performances by the instructors on Friday and Saturday at 7:30. Your workshop registration entitles you to prime seats at these shows.
- Sunday September 7: breakfast, check out of rooms by 11:00 AM.