November 9-12, 2017
Fort Worden State Park, Port Townsend, WA
Sky gray, like being inside a lidded pot, with cracks of light at the horizon. Blackberry season has ended: the rains fall on the woods, the rocky beaches, the fields, the rooftops of the cozy cabins. YAWP’s first session was about community and reading and writing and doing guided freewrites and writing exercises and creating new work and having good food at PT restaurants.
Autumn YAWP will be the same, as well as being under the November sky and with clouds pressed together like bales of wet newspapers and the firs and madronas and deer wandering like tramps and all the inspiration of tea and wine and books and your notebook or laptop and lamps lighting the mid-autumn peacefulness of Fort Worden State Park and and and and and and and.
YAWP – Your Alternative Writing Program – is limited to 20 participants.
Cost: $250. Have you published fifty novels? $250. Are you writing your first-ever poem? $250. This residency fee covers your private room. Meals are not included: what happens at YAWP is that some folks contribute together for communal meals and some folks prepare their own meals in the five kitchens provided and some folks go into town for the best restaurants that Port Townsend has to offer.
Thursday, November 9, 2017
- 5 pm-8 pm: Arrival and welcoming
- 8 pm-9 pm: Opening Readings
Fri-Sat, November 10-11, 2017
- 10-11 am: guided morning freewrite
- 11-noon: guided morning freewrite
- 11:30-6 pm personal writing time, reading time, walking down to the beach, going to Memory’s Vault, looking at eagle’s nests, going into town.
- 6-8 pm: Dinner, either in the cabins or in PT
- 8-9 pm: Open-mike for those interested
- 9-? pm: folks socializing, sleeping, reading, writing
Sunday, November 12, 2017
- Departure by 11 am
YAWP = Your Alternative Writing Program. Registration covers lodging. As this is an “intensive” program for personal development, there is no tuition per se, nor faculty.